Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review of 2010

Well what happened in 2010.

Sorry have not been on line over the last nine months, but started my Cancer treatment In June this year and was sick from that, when not being sick from the Chemo I was working pretty hard.  Prior to June was pretty ill with the cancer, and had very little energy, so was not doing much.  Had lots of Family Visits, My Son and Daughter from the UK Came out in July and September, Mum came out November, plus friends from BKK have been very good in visiting me, in particular I would like to Thank Howard and Maurice, who has been round several times to see how I am.

On the Notes front Installed 8.5.2 gold as well as Domino.  Got Traveler up and running ion 8.52, all appears to work well.

Moved on to 8.5.2 CD2, but have had many problems installing it, so still working on that, may be need to wait for the next code drop to come out.

8.5.2 works nicely especially like the in line auto spelling checker, thats great saves time and miss spellings.

Built a Ubuntu Notes client, using Ubuntu 10.10, works really well.  Have been able to use Ubuntu in place of Windows, every time I had an issue where I had software on Windows was always able to find an equivalent or better in Ubuntu, so am pretty impressed.  Also did a Ubuntu 64 Bit Domino install, much more difficult to setup  I was told by Stephan Wissel that I should have used the Ubuntu 32 version make with PAE as that will address up to 32 Gb of RAM.  So thats the next project for the new year.

Also built a FreeNAS server, went very easily and I now have a 1 TB NAS, which will shortly get extended to 1.5 Tb.  Its much cheaper to do that than bay a propriety NAS.  Used an old Pentium 4, 2.0 Ghz Dual core.  1 Gb RAM.  And 2 x 500 GB Western Digital SATA disks.  But even that spec is too much, the CPU has never gone above 1600 Mhz and usually sits below 1000 Mhz, RAM never above 350 Mb.  So could have used a much smaller system.  Can recommend building a FreeNAS to any one the costs are so cheep especially if you have old kit lying around.

Garn, my wife, is off to do some work for a customer in Cambodia.  She will be setting up his HR system and also some other Notes stuff, likely to be out there for several months.  Its going to be a challenge for her, but one to which she will surly rise to.

During early 2011 we will run down Evergreen Comware and change to Comsoftware, Evergreen Comware is an old company that we brought many years ago it has several Frang as directors and chairman, this make it much harder to actually do things and the report and paperwork is horrendous.  So Comsoftware has been formed under new company rules that allow only 3 shareholders and a single person as the manager, so its much easier and cheaper to operate.  Also the name does not reflect what we do, where as Comsoftware does, I feel.

Looks like we have a few interesting project coming up in the new year, so I am hoping that 2011 will be a good year, I can get over the Cancer and start to lead a normal life, however I still have 7 more treatment to go through which will take me through to almost the middle of the year.

I want to wish all who know me good luck for 2010 and hope that all your dreams come true.

สวัสดีปีใหม่, SAWATDEE PI MA, Happy New Year

Nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home